We are so excited to have Kelly back on two+seven. The past year has been a journey for Kelly and through hardship she has come out on the other side stronger and bolder than ever before. Today, we chat with her about what she is up to these days, her business endeavors and her personal style. More from our Q&A with Kelly Marie Dooley:
What are you up to these days?
In addition to my full-service branding agency, called KellyDooley Official, I am also developing three start ups:
(1) Zoukbox, a Korean-based luxury headphones brand for whom I am Creative Director (they even have a Rhodium pair that contains six individual speakers, meaning three in each ear-thus enabling us to introduce hybrid technology into the US market, which does not currently exist here.)
(2) Hagen Premium Coffee for whom I am the Creative Director (even the Royal Family drinks these beans).
(3) My new company – Strenue, meaning Energetically in Latin, and the tagline line is Ex Nihilo Nihil Fit, meaning “Nothing Comes From Nothing.” In addition to being my new activewear line, Strenue is also going to be an e-commerce platform that unifies art, beauty, fashion, health, home goods, learning, philanthropy, and wellness in a way that has not been done before. Strenue will also have a digital magazine called The Siren. More to come this month.
Originally from California, moving to NYC and now back on the West Coast? How has your style changed over the years?
I have always had a unique sense of style, but it has certainly evolved over the years. For example, with the exception of one, I sold all of my Herve Leger dresses, as I do not like to wear clothing that is overly sexy because I do not want to attract that type of attraction from men. Being petite yet curvy, I am very conscious of my “assets” and I do not want to send the wrong message.
Some of my go-to brands are the following:
(1) For denim, Diesel, G-Star and R13; (2) For lingerie, Agent Provocateur and La Perla; (3) For everyday and gym tanks, Forever 21 and H&M; (4) For high-tops, Barbara Bui, Chanel, Christian Louboutin, Adidas, Supra; (5) For swimwear, PINK by Victoria’s Secret; (6) For leather and other essentials, Barbara Bui; (7) For dresses and evening wear, Jovani, Dolce & Gabbana, Roberto Cavali.
“To sum up my style, I’d say: high fashion rocker fit.”
What is your signature look?
My signature look has changed since moving to California. For several years, I was infamous for what is called the “croissant bouffant,” another name for “pompadour” and hot pink lips. I still rock the pomp sometimes but I have transitioned to wearing my hair down more often for a few reasons; namely, because it is not humid in SoCal, I can wear my hair down without over-heating and my hair will last throughout the day. I have a lot of hair but it’s really fine, so it gets messed up very easily.
Secondly, with my hair down in NYC, men were vultures. I do not like that type of attention. Wearing my hair up in a funky do was an effective way to deter some of that attention. Since I have a convertible, that also impacts how I wear my hair for the day. Thus, it’s weather and appointment dependent. Needless to say, I always have my detangling comb. In California, men are much more respectful. I still wear my pink lips but not every day. I also wear various shades of nude and red. I like to mix it up now. I love mixing high and low brands to create an overall look – classy laced with edginess.
Does designer clothing = Style? How can you have style at any budget?
Oh no! Some people have all the money in the world but do not know how to dress themselves. A keen sense of style does not require a bottomless bank account. Nothing is sexier than confidence. Women should dress for their bodies, choosing silhouettes that are flattering and boost their confidence. Talk that talk and walk that walk!
What is your favorite color?
I cannot choose one. Sorry! I love fuchsia, amethyst, turquoise, gold, gunmetal, kelly green and burnt orange.
What are 3 things we didn’t know about you?
- I know sign language
- I go to church every Sunday
- I am a master chef!
Interested in connecting with Kelly? Here us how you can get connected.
Photography by: Charles Alexander and Savage Haus Photography